In this two-day workshop, you will learn how to shoot 16mm film using the Bolex H-16 Reflex Camera, how to splice and edit 16mm, further experimenting with physical and chemical techniques to alter the surface of our film.
Please note: Day 1 & day 2 of this workshop are one week apart. This will allow time for the film stock you shoot on day 1 to be developed and sent back to not/no.w.here to be edited.
During Day 1 of the workshop you will learn:
- How to operate a Bolex H16
- The basics of 16mm film stock, reversal vs negative, ASA and their effect on dynamic range and light sensitivity
- Metering and exposure using a calibrated light meter
- Frame rate, shutter speed and their effect on movement cadence and exposure
- Optics and the effect of f-stop on depth of field and exposure
- Experimental techniques such as stop motion and double exposure
During Day 2 of the workshop we will explore:
- Cameraless techniques for image making
- Examples of experimental moving image works using these techniques
- Editing and splicing 16mm film
- Altering the surface of film using chemical techniques such as tinting and toning
- Altering the surface of film using physical techniques such as drawing and scratching
- Loading a 16mm projector for playback
On Day 1 of the workshop, we will take a trip around the nearby Olympic Park with our cameras and 100ft each of B&W 16mm film stock. If you have any accessibility requirements then please let us know.
Workshop facilitated by: Rhea Storr and Imran Perretta
No experience necessary.
Day 1, Tuesday 17th July (10:00–5:30pm)
Day 2, Tuesday 24th July (10:00–5:30pm)
2 Warton House
150 Stratford High Street
Spaces available: 4
Fee: £175, including 100ft of film stock and the cost of development which is subsidised by not/no.w.here.
There will be a 45 minute lunch break during the day. Lunch is not provided, please make your own arrangements. Step free access and wheelchair accessible toilets available.
Via: Stratford (Underground); Stratford High Street, Pudding Mill Lane, Bow Church (all DLR); 25, 108, 276, 425, D8 (Bus Stop M/ Stop L)